The Lure of The Shapinsay By Kista Holle

Title:Lure of the Shapinsay
Author: Kista Holle
Number of Pages: 260
Pub date: December 16, 2011
AMAZON GOODREADS


Ever since Kait Swanney could remember, the old crones of the village have been warning her to stay away from the selkies. They claim that like sirens of old, the seal men creep from the inky waters, shed their skins, and entice women to their deaths beneath the North Sea. But avoiding an encounter becomes impossible when Kait is spotted at the water’s edge, moments after the murder of a half-selkie infant. Unexpectedly, Kait is awoken by a beautiful, selkie man seeking revenge. After she declares her innocence, the intruder darts into the night, but not before inadvertently bewitching her with an overpowering lure. Kait obsesses over a reunion deep beneath the bay and risks her own life to be reunited with her selkie. But when she lands the dangerous lover, the chaos that follows leaves Kait little time to wonder—is it love setting her on fire or has she simply been lured?


First thoughts
I love all things Mythical; I love a good story with a mermaid. So the thought of a book centered on a Selkie (Seal) race was fascinating. The only thing that almost made me turn away from this book was the fact that it was set in the 1800’s. I don’t like historical books; they just don’t do anything for me. But I was told that I would still enjoy it, and I did. So glad I was able to read this book. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

My thoughts
Lure of the Shapinsay was a great book! I was hooked from the beginning and I was not expecting that. The only thing that was a little frustrating was the language. In the beginning It made me crazy but once I started to understand that, it was back to being a great read.  This book is quite different than anything I’ve read before. I’ve never read a book about Selkies! I love reading new things and seeing what authors can come up with next to make their story different than everything else out there.

This story starts out with a case of mistaking identity. A baby Selkie is murdered once the town discovers that the baby is not completely human. Eamon see Kait and assumes she is the one that murdered the baby, one of his own kind. Hell bent on revenge Eamon makes it his mission to make Kait pay. Once he discovers that she is not the one that killed the infant they discover they are attracted to each other, and it becomes hard for them to stay away.

Kait is feisty, independent and refuses to me married off to a man she doesn’t love. She has a strong desire to swim even though the towns people tell her to cautious of the Selkie man who will take lure her to them and drown her. She doesn’t listen and continues to look for the Selkie that has been in her thoughts since she saw him.

Eamon was a joy! He was so head strong, and intent of not being around the “land Louper’s” .But he could not get Kait out of his thoughts. He likes her lot and now he must decide if will continue being a Selkie or will he give up that life, hide his skin, and continue living life with Kait. Sounds Simple but it’s not everything is against them and a Selkie can’t avoid the sea forever, it’s a part of them.

Another character that I loved was Tipper. She ended up being my favorite, second to Eamon and Kait of course.

Overall this story was great.it made fall in Love with Selkie and wants to be lured into the sea by a beautiful man. The ending was a pleasant surprise all, was not expected that all yet it made it all the more better. It was sort of bittersweet. If you’re like me and don’t like historical books, let be the first to say that you never know what time this is yet it. It’s a story for everyone. I highly recommend it!!

Comments

  1. This is my next read, and I'm so glad to hear you loved it! I got a review copy from the author, but hadn't heard that much about it! Synopsis sounds great and the topic is totally new to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review..i love historical fiction..so this appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment